My First Virtual Earth 6.1 Application

As you patiently wait on the release of the docs (sometime around noon today) I figured I’d post a quick blog to get you testing the backwards compatibility (and some challenges associated with it). I’m going to use the geocoding application I wrote in a post a couple days ago to show the new locale requirements for geocoding.

So, first thing is how to you access VE Version 6.1?

Change your JS Link from to Just swapping that our allows you to test against the new version.

Okay, so for geocoding and specifying the locale you just need to add the mkt parameter to the URL string as such (for German):

So, let’s say I want to geocode a location in Italy in Italian such as “Roma” you would use the following code:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN” “”>
      <title>Sample App</title>
      <meta http-equiv=”Content-Type” content=”text/html; charset=utf-8″>

      <!– saved from url=(0014)about:internet –>
      <script type=”text/javascript” src=””></script>

      <script type=”text/javascript”>

      var map = null;
      var findPlaceResults = null;
      function GetMap()
         map = new VEMap(‘myMap:newmap’);
         map.Find(null,’Roma’, null, null, null, null, true, true, null, true, GetCoordinates);     

     function GetCoordinates(layer, resultsArray, places, hasMore, veErrorMessage)
    findPlaceResults = places[0].LatLong;
    var myShape = new VEShape(VEShapeType.Pushpin, findPlaceResults);

   <body onload=”GetMap();”>
      <div id=’myMap:newmap’ style=”position:relative; width:800px; height:600px;”></div>


Notice the localized dashboard in Italian. There are localized dashboards for English (en-IN), French (fr-FR), Spanish (es-US), French Canadian (fr-CA) and Italian (it-IT).

More samples to come. Stay tuned.


Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on linkedin Share on linkedin