What is up with candidates not self-identifying when applying for jobs? Do you think employers will not find out when they interview you? 😉 At some point they will find out before you are hired. As someone who is black, if I am applying to a company who is not seeking blacks (and, yes, they are out there) then I might as well save us both time by including this information on my application. Instead of “applying blind” why not target companies who are promoting diversity…have won awards for diversity…and are looking for diverse people?
Microsoft’s list of diversity awards includes:
· Working Mother’s list of the 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers
· Diversity MBA “Diversity Out Front” award by Diversity MBA Magazine
· Top 50 Employers, Workforce Diversity for Engineering and IT Professionals magazine
· Number 22 on eighteenth annual “Top 50 Employers,” Woman Engineer magazine
· Number 6 on the Top 10 Companies List for Asian Americans Award by the Asian MBA (AMBA)
· Named as one of the top 50 employers by readers of Equal Opportunity Magazine
Need I go on? And these are from 2009 alone. For a full list please visit http://www.microsoft.com/about/diversity/programs/awards.mspx. Microsoft is the place you want to be…and we are looking for you!