It’s that time of year. It’s time to start racking your brain to figure out what to get the person who has everything, arming yourself for mall combat and assembling your holiday gift list. To help you get the jump on planning, we invited Susana Yee to join our #BingIt Twitter chat this Wednesday, November 16th from 12-1pm PST.
A fashion industry veteran, Susana runs the popular blog ShoppingandInfo.com which highlights cutting edge fashion at affordable prices. She will be sharing her thoughts on how to pick up what’s in vogue this season without breaking the bank.
If you can’t wait until Wednesday, Susana has been kind enough to share her thoughts on the “10 Must Have Holiday Trends” below.
10 Must Have Holiday Trends – from Shoppingandinfo.com
This season is a great time of year because it means brisker temperatures, leaves changing colors, and the holidays are approaching. As someone who grew up on the east coast, I have always loved this season. I love the colors in nature and the smell of wood burning from fireplaces on a chill evening. Some of my favorite items for the season are fur collared coats and cords. Here is my list of the top 10 must have trends this season.
- The color Camel is one of the biggest trends this season. Check out this 3.1 Phillip Lim Camel Wool Scarf motorcycle jacket with removable sleeves $850. If ever there were a genius jacket, this one by 3.1 Phillip Lim is it. The jacket hits the lady like trend as well as the camel color neutral trend for fall and it is 2 looks in one. The motorcycle cut of the jacket gives this jacket a modern edge. The attached scarf gives it the lady like look. The sleeves can zip off which gives the jacket another modern vest look. This is the perfect jacket for work and for travel.
- The look of mod is big. Think 1960’s with smokey eyes, pink lips, a white mohair sweater and a pair of leggings with a pair of black riding boots. Bridgette Bardot epitomized the smoldering siren look and this fall soft feminine fluffy sweaters are back. Recently Kristen Stewart wore a white mohair and wool sweater from Max Mara on the cover of W Magazine paying tribute to that look. For the fall season, wear the look with black bootcut Capri jeans with a pair of wedge platform pumps. Michael by Michael Kors made a white deep cowl neck sweater this season that can also be worn off the shoulder too to create that whole mod look for $120.
- The top handle bag. If you love the show Mad Men then you have probably seen top handle bags from that era. This season is all about the top handle bag to cinch that ladylike look. Top handle bags can be carried in the crook of your arm, worn with pumps and a shift dress. Top handle bags can be as simple as a snap open top bag to a top handle bag with an opening on either side of the bag and a cross body strap for a modern update. One of my favorites is the saddle leather Fendi Peekaboo top handle bag with cross body strap for $2950. However if you would like something more affordable a great option is the glazed top handle leather bag by Giani Bernini bag for $98. The bag has a top handle, cross body or shoulder strap, and separated sections inside the bag for easy organization.
- Platform wedge shoes from the 90’s are back. If looking tall is a big priority you are in luck. One of the biggest trends this season is from the 1990’s. Shoes that can help you grow 5 inches in height and keep your feet comfortable all day long. One of the biggest platform wedge designers from the 1990’s is back with updated versions of the platform wedge. This season Robert Clergerie created platform wedges in 5 inch loafers to go with opaque tights, pleated skirts, and cardigans. This trend allows us city girls to go from our 6 floor walk ups to the subway to work without any pain. The look is fabulous and you look tall. Robert Clergerie loafer platform pumps are $765. Another great option that is less funky are the beeout platform black suede pumps by Nine West for $89. Platform wedges are everywhere this season and come in boots, pumps, and sandals. This trend is great for us petite gals.
- A great wool coat. This season feminine wool coats are front and center to go with all the ladylike fashions. You need a great coat to go with your top handle bag. Some of my favorites are the belted wool coats that you can wear with pants or a dress so you can go from office to dinner without thinking twice. One of my favorites is a tie waist wool coat that has a little detail like a fur shawl collar or a ruffle collar. Just those little touches can turn a functional wool coat into an extra special piece. Get the Tahar tusk wool ‘Eve’ ruffle front belted coat for $251
- Rubber riding boots. To be practical, this season is also about rain and you will want to have a pair of great rain boots for the season. This year rain boots are not just about wearing a pair of rubber boots by Hunter anymore. Rubber rain boots are being made by everyone from Chanel to Givenchy. The great thing about these new fangled rubber rain boots is that you can wear them with your regular going out or work clothes. You won’t look like you are wearing a pair of galoshes. You will look like you are wearing a pair of riding boots and you won’t worry about them because they are waterproof and rubber. The Hunter Verbier Rain boots even have a fabulous wedge to give them a little extra flair for $105
- Felt hats inspired by menswear. A great trend this season are menswear inspired cardigan, hats, and jackets. One of my favorite looks is the fedora with a feminine twist. Nothing looks sexier on a woman than a fedora with a feather paired with a bespoke looking jacket, jeans, and oxfords. The Brixton gain fedora in gray with a black ribbon and feather is just what the doctor ordered for $49.99
- Ankle boots are now a wardrobe staple like pumps and riding boots. You wear your ankle boots with skinny jeans and a leather jacket to go out or you wear ankle boots with opaque tights and a skirt with a sweater for work. Ankle boots give that little bit of edge to your outfit that you cannot get from a pair of pumps or sandals. Ankle boots add an additional layer of cool to your whole look. One of the masters of ankle boots is Alexander Wang. He makes them with laces and platforms for that ultra modern look. One of my favorites are the Constance felt ankle boots for $245.
- The leather bracelet has become a big trend this season. Leather bracelets can be worn casually and they can be worn for an evening out too in lieu of your watch or a bunch of gold bracelets. The leather bracelet can also be bundled with your gold bracelets as a total look. Leather bracelets embellished with crystals and chains or just plain with a snap or a hook. There is one for every personality. One of my favorites is by Gorjana and has a gold toggle closure on a leather strap. It is subtle, but interesting.
- Cat eye oversized sunglasses – you must complete your look with a great pair of sunnies. One of my favorite pairs this season is a cat eyed oversized tortoise pair of Ray Bans that can be worn with a scarf over your head, crew neck long sleeve tee, Capri pants, and ballerina flats ala Jackie O. Get the Ray Ban retro cat eyed sunglasses for $109.
See you Wednesday!
– The #BingIt Team:
- Kari Dilloo – @karidilloo
- Ted Roduner – @roduner