For our current Bing Maps Platform customers using the Bing Maps Token Service, we want to remind you that this service will be retired on March 30, 2012. Please be sure to upgrade any of your applications that are using the Bing Maps Token Service to Bing Maps Keys before this date to ensure that your access to the Bing Maps Platform is not interrupted.
What Bing Maps Platform API’s does this upgrade apply to?
This upgrade only applies to the following Bing Maps Platform API’s:
- Bing Maps AJAX Control v6.3 (and earlier versions)
- Bing Maps SOAP Services
- Bing Maps Silverlight Control
What are the benefits of using Bing Maps Keys instead of the Bing Maps Token Service?
- Improved performance in accessing the Bing Maps Platform (i.e. the elimination of the requirement to call the Token Service prior to calling the Bing Maps API’s).
- Unlike Bing Maps Tokens, Bing Maps Keys do not expire.
- Enhanced management and reporting of your Bing Maps Platform usage (i.e. you can assign a unique Bing Maps Key to each of your applications to separately track the Bing Maps usage for each of your applications).
How can you tell if you are currently using the Bing Maps Token Service?
- If your Bing Maps application is calling or referencing any of the following Bing Maps Platform URL’s (HTTP or HTTPS) you are very likely using the Bing Maps Token Service:
- You can view the Legacy (MWS + Token) Usage Report by Category report in the View My Bing Maps API Usage section of the Bing Maps Account Center or view the Transaction Usage by Category report in the View Usage section of the Bing Maps Customer Services Site (the legacy Bing Maps Platform customer portal). If you see recent usage under those reports of the Bing Maps API types listed below then you are using the Bing Maps Token Service.
How do you get started with upgrading from the Bing Maps Token Service to Bing Maps Keys?
To get started, please follow the MSDN article, Migrating from Tokens to Keys, which explains how to obtain a Bing Maps Key, and provides guidance on upgrading your applications to Bing Maps Keys for applications using the Bing Maps AJAX Control, the Bing Maps Silverlight Control, or Bing Maps SOAP services.