Trika was nice enough to point out that the beta for the Virtual Earth Certification Exam is now available. I like how I helped author the exam, but I had to find out through her blog that it is available – love it. Anyway, here are some details about the certification that I plagurized from Trika’s blog.
“New Microsoft Exam! Be the first to certify on Virtual Earth 6.0!” Feel free to share this with Virtual Earth-aware developers. You can register starting October 15, adn the beta is open until November 14. If you don’t know much about betas, read this or this first.
Register for Beta Exam 71-544: TS: MicrosoftÂ® Virtual Earthâ„¢ 6.0, Developing
By participating in beta exams, you have the opportunity to provide the Microsoft Certification program with feedback about exam content, which is integral to development of exams in their released version. We depend on the contributions of experienced IT professionals and developers as we continually improve exam content and maintain the value of Microsoft certifications.
Please remember that participation in the beta process is completely voluntary and Microsoft makes no promises or guarantees regarding the beta exam process. You can expect to receive your score on the beta exam within 12 weeks of taking the exam, although in some instances, beta exams may take longer to score and your results may be delayed.
70-544: TS: MicrosoftÂ® Virtual Earthâ„¢ 6.0, Developing counts as credit towards the following certification(s).
Â· MCTS: Virtual Earth 6.0, Development
Registration begins: October 15, 2007
Beta exam period runs: October 15, 2007â€“ November 14, 2007
Receiving this invitation does not guarantee you a seat in the beta; we recommend that you register immediately. Beta exams have limited availability and are operated under a first-come-first-served basis. Once all beta slots are filled, no additional seats will be offered.
Testing is held at Prometric testing centers worldwide, although this exam may not be available in all countries (see Regional Restrictions). All testing centers will have the capability to offer this exam in its live version.
Regional Restrictions: India, China, and Pakistan
You must register at least 24 hours prior to taking the exam.
Use this promotional code when registering: VE08
Receiving this invitation does not guarantee you a seat in the beta; we recommend that you register immediately. To register:
- in North America: Prometric: (800) 755-EXAM (800-755-3926)
- Outside the U.S./Canada: Prometric: http://www.register.prometric.com/ClientInformation.asp
Test Information and Support
- You are invited to take this beta exam at no charge.
You will be given four hours to complete the beta exam. Please plan accordingly.
- What is a beta exam?
- Where can I learn more about the registration process?
- When will my beta exam results be available?
Skills measured by Exam 70-544
Retrieving Location Solution Data
- Retrieve location data from a local Microsoft SQL Server database.
- Retrieve data asynchronously.
- Retrieve location information from a third-party data source.
- Retrieve and generate tile layers.
- Manage Microsoft MapPoint Web Service (MWS) data.
- Resolve locations and addresses by geo-coding.
- Search for common Virtual Earth-hosted points of interest (POI).
Analyzing Location Data
- Determine the route between locations.
- Perform a proximity analysis of locations by using geo-fencing.
- Incorporate real-time traffic information into a location solution.
- Show location information over time.
- Manage large data sets by using clustering.
Displaying Location Solution Data
- Add a customized push pin.
- Add a default push pin.
- Show a custom layer on the map.
- Draw lines and polygons on the map.
- Display data panels on top of the map surface.
Administering Your Location Platform
- Set up the solution environment.
- Plan the solution for deployment environments.
- Monitor Virtual Earth activity.
- License Virtual Earth and MapPoint products.
- Debug Microsoft JScript code.
Manipulating the Map
- Control the map view.
- Set the map mode.
- Set map styles.
- Handle map events.
- Show or hide map elements.
Creating and Customizing the Map Display
- Create a Virtual Earth map.
- Share a link to an instance of the map.
- Size the map control.
- Control map position on the page.
- Customize map look and feel.
- Create and position a map inset.